Friday, October 10, 2008

Answers to photography/camera questions...

DSC_0219 copySL TCA

First off, I apologize to everyone who has emailed or commented with questions... I'm SO behind on emails, etc. and have been very busy. So I will try to answer some in this post. If I don't get to your question, please leave it in a comment on this post- and I will answer with another comment. :)

1. "What kind of camera do you use?" Well, this is a tough one, since I have many cameras. My newest camera is a Nikon D300, and I love it! But I still use my other cameras, too. The photo above was taken months ago with my older camera- the Nikon D40X... this camera does a nice job but can't auto-focus with many lenses. So, if you are into more sophisticated lenses, I don't recommend it. I would go for the D80 or D300 in that case- or the D90 which just came out and does video too.

2. What lenses do you use? I have several lenses (all Nikkor), but those I use most are the 50mm 1.4, 50mm1.8, and 85mm 1.8. My favorite is the 50mm1.4... it lets in a lot of light, so I use it for my inside photos. I am very proud to say that I do NOT use flash any more! (except when necessary at night or for a snapshot) Otherwise, I'm totally into natural light photography (every photo of Sasha was taken with natural light from the window).

3. How do you get the blurry background? I am not an expert, but I get it in one of two ways. #1 Zoom way in on your subject, and the background should blur. #2 Use a lens with a lower aperature number (my 50mm 1.4 lens gives me the blurriest background). I'm sure some photographers who understand this better can give a more accurate explanation. :)

4. What program do you use to edit your photos? I use Photoshop CS2, and I really like it. There is soooo much to learn, and I learn something new all the time. I've heard that the simpler, less expensive version (Photoshop Elements) is great too.

5. How do you manage to take all these photos, blog, etc. with three kids? It's SO hard. But FYI, everything I've posted to Sophie and Ollie's blogs was taken way before Sasha was born. I had the posts all ready to go, knowing I'd be very busy! Also, I do have Edilia 5 days a week to help with cleaning the house (I rarely have her help with the kids). And Michael, of course, is such a helpful husband and awesome daddy! He's been taking Sophie and Ollie to school for me and so much more!

6. Can your kids take a bad picture? Ohhhhh, YES! One day, I should post what most of their photos look like- lol. I have to take LOTS of photos to get a few good ones! That's the secret!

7. You should become a professional photographer... Thank you so much for this and other compliments about my photography. I'm so flattered, but you should see some of the work the professional photographers that I admire do! Then, you'd see what an amateur I am! If you click on any of Sasha's photos, you will be taken to my Flickr page. If you go to my profile, you can check out my contacts- many of whom are amazing photographers (I drool over their photos, and so will you)! But I do realize that my photography has come a long way (I didn't even own a camera before going to China), and I appreciate the kind words!

Okay, if there are any other questions, please leave a comment- and I'll answer asap!

Hugs, Shana :)

No comments:

Post a Comment